Data tells immense stories if utilized properly. We collect hundreds of thousands of lines of data every day through our SaaS applications that can be collated into a story that can tell you more about the way your users are using your app than ever before.
Verb users typically are looking to make data-driven decisions to ensure that their data tells a story for their customers. They analyze, create, and maintain hundreds of views specifically to ensure that their customers are receiving the best, most up-to-date information to make decisions specifically for their needs.
In this blog, we’re going to talk about how you can utilize Verb to make data-driven decisions with data storytelling and implement dashboards that your users will use and love.
What is Data Storytelling?
Data storytelling is the ability to effectively communicate insights from a dataset using narratives and visualizations. It can be used to put data insights into context and inspire action from your customers.
You want your customers to take proper action on the data you present, so with Verb’s unique tools, you’re able to make it happen with relative ease.
Determine How Your Data Tells a Story
Analyzing your data has never been easier with the plethora of business intelligence tools that are currently available in the marketplace. When you analyze your data, keep in mind that there are three core elements you need to discover before you can interweave them into a cohesive story:
- Determine which data points are useful. We collect a lot of data. We mean, a lot of data. A lot of the usefulness of our data can be hampered if we don’t identify the key points of data that are necessary.
- Collate or organize your data points. Once you have identified 3-4 data points, organize them into a format that make sense for your application. (Example: If you’re an eCommerce application, you’d probably identify things like dollars made, number of customers, number of items purchased, and average sale order.)
- Determine your data entry point. You can utilize hundreds of integrations to bring in your data. If you prefer to do it manually to ensure accuracy, you can use flat files to create your dashboards or connect it using your favorite data ingestion integration like MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.
Once you’ve completed these three steps, you will be able to properly create a dashboard that tells a unique data story.
Organizing Your Dashboard to Tell Your Data Story
Dashboard design is a huge component of telling a proper data story. In order to tell the story effectively, you need to ensure that the dashboard is organized, presented carefully, and has the proper charting.
Using Verb’s unique dashboard Design Themes, you’re able to make sure that everything is presented to your customers in a native design format. We designed Design Themes to assist you in ensuring a seamless experience between your app and Verb’s no-code solutions.
As you choose your tiles, you can design your dashboard in real-time to tell that amazing data story that your users need to provide an awesome return on investment (ROI) for your tool.
Publish Your Data Story
Once you’ve organized, designed, and managed the connectivity of your dashboard, you can now publish it into a cohesive data story. Your dashboard now represents the “full picture” of what your customers need in order to succeed.
Publish and embed with a simple click to allow your app’s users instant access to their data in real-time. Now your users can take action on the data that you display for them.
- Keep in mind that your users may need different key performance indicators to take proper action to optimize their experience or usefulness of your SaaS application.
- Understand that each customer has different needs in their own data stories. Always talk to your customers first before displaying data to them that may or may not help them.
- Design dashboards with the user in mind. Never design a dashboard from assumption. Poll your users to ensure that you’re giving them the best possible experience to tell their own data stories to their users.
If you’re interested in continuing on your data story journey, Verb’s Solutions Experts would love to talk to you about how we can help you design great dashboards for your SaaS application.